At least 16 people have lost their lives and 18 others sustained injuries after a gas explosion triggered the partial collapse of a residential building in Soldier Bazaar early Thursday morning.
The incident occurred around 4 a.m. on the first floor of a ground-plus-two residential building.
According to authorities, the blast was caused by a gas leak, possibly from a cylinder or a gas pumping machine, which ignited after a sudden surge in gas supply to the area.
Rescue operations
Rescue teams, including Edhi and Rescue 1122, rushed to the site. Narrow streets in Soldier Bazaar hampered the movement of heavy machinery, slowing down the recovery process. Despite these challenges, all reported missing individuals have been accounted for, though some may still be buried under debris.
Edhi officials confirmed that the operation has been completed, recovering 15 bodies so far, with all deceased being handed over to their families. Chief Operating Officer of Rescue 1122, Dr. Abid Jalal, noted that the building’s small ground-floor rooms and two additional floors made rescue efforts more difficult. The collapse also damaged surrounding structures.
Hospital updates
Senior Medical Officer of the Trauma Center, Dr. Shahmin Farid, said 18 injured individuals were brought to the hospital, eight with minor injuries who have since been discharged. The remaining injured do not require ICU care, and hospital staff are providing ongoing treatment.
Eyewitness accounts
A survivor, Aini Shahid Kausar, recounted her ordeal: "I was asleep when my sisters woke me. The door wouldn’t open. When I shouted, rescuers had to cut it to bring us out. My four sisters were inside, but thankfully we were rescued in time."
Possible cause
Abid Farooq, in-charge of the Bomb Disposal Squad East, explained that the building’s gas fitting was faulty, with plastic pipes installed in some areas. The gas had reportedly been absent from the area for several days, but a sudden surge in supply last night may have caused the leak. "It is possible the gas valve was left open, and a short circuit or match triggered the explosion," he said.
DIG East Dr. Farrukh Lanjar said preliminary information points to a gas leak as the cause. He added that the exact nature of the explosion will be confirmed after a chemical examination. Authorities will also determine whether the building was legally constructed and hold those responsible accountable.
Casualties
Among the deceased are children, including 10-year-old Sajjad and 17-year-old Afshan. Rescue teams recovered their bodies along with others trapped under the rubble.
The Deputy Commissioner East, Nasrullah Abbasi, confirmed that the building partially collapsed and emphasized that authorities are conducting thorough inspections to prevent such tragedies in the future.







