The Bangladesh government has imposed an indefinite ban on the telecast of the Indian Premier League, citing public interest and growing security concerns, according to Bangladeshi media reports.
Bangladeshi authorities have issued a formal notification announcing a complete ban on the telecast of the Indian Premier League. The notification states that IPL matches, promotional content and event coverage will no longer be broadcast in Bangladesh.
According to the announcement, the ban on IPL broadcasts has come into effect from today. The government said the restriction will remain in place until further orders, making the ban indefinite in nature.
Decision taken in public interest
Officials said the decision to block IPL coverage was taken in the public interest, though no detailed explanation was provided in the notification.
Bangladeshi media linked the move to broader regional security concerns surrounding the tournament.
Also Read: Mustafizur Rahman dropped from IPL on BCCI's direction
The development comes amid reports that Bangladesh fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman was removed from his IPL team.
He was reportedly dropped from the Kolkata Knight Riders squad following threats from extremist elements, raising alarm within cricketing circles.
Growing impact on cricket ties
The ban marks a significant escalation in Bangladesh’s response to the situation surrounding the IPL. It is expected to affect broadcasters, advertisers and cricket fans across the country, while also adding strain to regional cricket relations.
Also Read: ICC considers T20 World Cup schedule change over Bangladesh concerns
Authorities have not indicated when the decision will be reviewed or lifted.
For now, the IPL will remain off Bangladeshi television screens as the situation continues to evolve.
On Jan 3, the BCCI had directed Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) to remove Bangladesh left-arm fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman from the forthcoming season of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
Also Read: BCB announces decision not to send team to India for World Cup
According to reports, the decision was taken in the context of strained political relations with Bangladesh, bringing allegations of bias by the Indian cricket authorities into the open. It was further claimed that the move signalled a wider closure of IPL opportunities to Bangladeshi cricketers.
Kolkata Knight Riders released Mustafizur Rahman from their squad on the instruction of the BCCI. The franchise had previously acquired him for Rs9.20 crore.







