Federal Minister for Religious Affairs Sardar Muhammad Yousuf on Friday strongly denied claims that thousands of Pakistani pilgrims are missing abroad, clarifying that such statements are based on a misunderstanding of the data.
Speaking to the media, the minister explained that the confusion arose from outdated paperwork. “It was never said that thousands of Pakistanis are missing. The records of around 40,000 pilgrims were previously maintained in paper form and have not yet been fully transferred to the central digital registry,” Sardar Yousuf clarified.
To enhance the safety and convenience of Pakistani pilgrims, especially those traveling to Iran, Iraq, and Syria, the Ministry of Religious Affairs has introduced a modern online registration system, the minister announced. The system is designed to improve documentation and tracking of pilgrims.
“Under the new system, every pilgrim and group organizer will be issued a QR code for easy identification and coordination,” he said.
In addition, the government will now share complete lists of pilgrims with the authorities in Iran, Iraq, and Syria ahead of their travel. “This proactive step will eliminate the possibility of any misunderstanding or propaganda regarding the movement of Pakistani pilgrims,” the minister stated.
Sardar Yousuf also urged all tour operators and individuals intending to perform religious visits to register their details on the official portal by August 31, 2025. “This deadline must be met to ensure proper arrangements and avoid any logistical errors,” he emphasized.
The minister reiterated the government’s commitment to safeguarding the welfare of pilgrims through digital transformation and better coordination with foreign governments.







