At least 46 people were killed and more than 100 injured on Friday after a massive cloudburst struck Chositi village in Kishtwar district of Indian-held Kashmir, officials said.
The cloudburst, about 290 km southeast of Srinagar, triggered flash floods that swept away several structures, including a community kitchen, shops, a security outpost, and vehicles. Officials fear the death toll could rise, as many people remain missing.
Rescue teams, including police, the Indian army, the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), have evacuated around 200 people to safety. The pilgrimage to a Hindu temple in the mountains has been suspended.
Images from the scene show extensive damage, injured people receiving treatment, and bodies covered in shrouds.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the situation is being closely monitored and pledged full assistance to victims.
The India Meteorological Department had earlier issued warnings for heavy rainfall, landslides, and possible cloudbursts in the region.
FO expresses sorrow over cloudburst deaths in IIOJK’s Kashmir
Pakistan on Friday expressed sorrow over the loss of lives caused by a cloudburst in Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir’s Kishtwar district.
In a statement, the Foreign Office spokesperson said the government and people of Pakistan were saddened by the loss of precious lives and property in the incident.
The spokesperson conveyed heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families and prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured.
Pakistan stands in solidarity with the Kashmiri people in this difficult time and reiterates its unwavering support for their resilience despite challenges, the statement added.







