At least three passengers were killed and 14 others injured when unidentified assailants opened fire on a passenger coach travelling from Karachi to Quetta on Wednesday, police and hospital sources confirmed.
The attack took place near Nimarg Cross on the National Highway in Kalat district, where gunmen reportedly ambushed the vehicle and fired indiscriminately, according to police officials.
Emergency responders and police personnel rushed to the scene following the attack. The bodies and injured were transported to District Headquarters (DHQ) Hospital, where more casualties were expected to arrive as the rescue operation continued.
“So far, three bodies and five injured have been shifted to the DHQ Hospital,” police sources told reporters immediately after the incident. “The coach was en route from Karachi to Quetta when the attack occurred.”
The attackers managed to flee the scene before law enforcement could arrive. A search operation was launched in the surrounding areas to trace the culprits.
Qawwals targeted in Kalat firing
According to sources, the victims belonged to PIB Colony in Karachi and were part of a 15-member Qawwali group en route to Quetta.
The group, known as Majid Ali Sabri Qawwals, had departed from Karachi with sound equipment and other materials to perform in Quetta. Qawwal Nadeem Sabri, also known as Baniya Bhai, said they were just about 30 minutes away from Quetta when their bus was ambushed.
"Three of our team members were killed and many others were injured in the attack," Nadeem recounted. "We are artists, we recite qawwalis and naats, and are known for our peaceful work. Had we known something like this would happen, we would never have left home."
Talha Sabri, a brother of the late Amjad Sabri, clarified that the victims were not affiliated with the Amjad Sabri family but instead belong to the Majid Ali and Nadeem Ali Qawwal families.
“We offer our heartfelt prayers for the forgiveness of the departed souls and the swift recovery of those injured,” said Talha Sabri.
According to the spokesperson for the Balochistan government, security agencies, the district administration, and rescue teams immediately reached the scene of the attack. The injured passengers were shifted to District Headquarters (DHQ) Hospital Kalat, where an emergency has been declared to handle the situation, Shahid Rind added.
Security forces have cordoned off the area, and a search operation is currently underway to locate the attackers. “Security forces are in pursuit of the perpetrators,” the spokesperson added.
Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah strongly condemned the firing incident on the passenger coach in Kalat, calling it an extremely barbaric act to target innocent passengers.
“The terrorists are a plague on this sacred land,” the chief minister said, adding, “Eliminating these elements is essential for the country’s peace and prosperity.”
He also offered prayers for the swift recovery of those injured in the attack and said, “May Allah help us in our fight against terrorism.”







