The Sindh government has declared a public holiday in Karachi on Wednesday (August 20), in response to heavy rainfall and its impact on the city’s infrastructure and daily life.
The announcement followed an emergency meeting held under the chairmanship of Shah Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah to assess the ongoing situation in Karachi. The meeting reviewed the effects of persistent rain and urban flooding, which have disrupted traffic and affected several key roads.
Officials informed the Sindh CM that 245 millimetres of rainfall had been recorded in 12 hours. Drainage work is under way to clear accumulated water, and the situation is said to be gradually improving. Main thoroughfares have been partially cleared, and authorities continue their efforts to restore mobility.
CM Murad said that the holiday aims to prevent public hardship and urged residents to remain indoors for their safety. He added that emergency teams are active in removing water from low-lying areas and managing blocked drains.
Among those present at the meeting were provincial ministers Sharjeel Memon, Nasir Shah and Saeed Ghani, along with Zia Lanjar, Karachi’s commissioner, and the city’s mayor.
The weather department has forecast further rain in the coming hours, and officials remain on alert.







