In a brutal overnight assault, gunmen on motorcycles killed at least 50 people in Tungan Dutse.
Authorities and residents report women and children were also abducted as the attackers moved through the village, leaving destruction in their wake.
The raid began late Thursday night and extended into Friday morning in the Bukkuyum area. Armed men on motorcycles reportedly set homes on fire and abducted villagers.
“They have been moving from one village to another … leaving at least 50 people dead,” said Hamisu A Faru in a call with Reuters.
The total number of abductees remains unknown as local officials are still compiling a list of missing residents.
Early warning ignored
Some villagers say signs of the attack were visible before it occurred.
Abdullahi Sani, 41, said villagers spotted over 150 armed men on motorcycles a day prior and alerted security forces. No action was taken.
“No one slept yesterday; we are all in pain,” Sani added, noting that three members of his family were killed during the raid.
Regional security challenges
Nigeria’s north and west face overlapping security threats, including armed gangs and rebel fighters.
Just last week, attacks in Borgu area left at least 46 dead, with the deadliest raid in Konkoso, where residents were shot or had their throats cut.
In response to escalating violence, Nigeria has expanded security collaboration with the United States.
After President Donald Trump accused Nigeria of failing to stop killings of Christians, the US conducted airstrikes on Sokoto in December, coordinated with local authorities.
Earlier this week, Nigeria confirmed the arrival of 100 US soldiers to train local forces.
Samaila Uba said the troops would provide “technical support,” “intelligence sharing,” and “associated equipment” to combat “terrorist organisations.”







