The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) on Sunday formally announced that it will not send its team to India for the ICC T20 World Cup.
According to a BCB spokesperson, the decision was taken due to concerns over the safety and security of the Bangladesh team. An emergency meeting of the board of directors was convened on the matter, after which the decision was finalised in consultation with the government.
In a statement, the board said the step was unavoidable to ensure the protection of players and officials. It said the Bangladesh team would not travel to India for the tournament under the prevailing circumstances. The ICC has been asked to shift the matches to another country.
Earlier, Bangladesh’s sports adviser Asif Nazrul Islam confirmed the decision, citing security concerns. He said the decision was taken in the context of India’s extremist and sectarian policies. He added that the Bangladesh Cricket Board had decided that the team would not travel to India.
It may be recalled that Bangladesh’s matches in the ICC T20 World Cup are scheduled in India. The team is due to play three matches in Kolkata and one in Mumbai.
Meanwhile, reacting to reports of a possible change in venues, the Indian board said altering venues during the T20 World Cup would create administrative chaos. It said changing venues was easier to suggest than to implement and that matches could not be moved on the basis of preference or demand. It added that hotels for visiting teams had already been booked and air tickets issued.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) further said that Bangladeshi cricketer Mustafizur Rahman was excluded from the IPL due to political tensions. It added that the Bangladesh board was also considering seeking changes to World Cup match venues, although Bangladesh’s group matches remain scheduled in Kolkata and Mumbai.







