The exclusion of Bangladeshi fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman from the Indian Premier League (IPL) has triggered a strong reaction in Bangladesh, with the government now considering whether the tournament should continue to be broadcast in the country.
Bangladesh’s Information and Broadcasting Advisor Syeda Rizwana Hasan said the government is reviewing the legal grounds for a possible response following Mustafizur Rahman’s removal from the IPL.
Speaking to media at the Secretariat on Sunday, she said the issue could not be ignored, as it has deeply hurt public sentiment in Bangladesh.
Political Influence
Syeda Rizwana Hasan stated that Mustafizur Rahman’s release by Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) was allegedly carried out on the instructions of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
She said removing a player whose participation had already been confirmed, apparently on political grounds, was regrettable and unacceptable.
Calls to Suspend IPL Broadcast
The decision has sparked widespread reaction across the country, with legal expert and academic Asif Nazrul urging the government to consider suspending the IPL broadcast in Bangladesh.
He argued that sports should remain free from political interference and warned that the situation reflects the growing politicisation of cricket.
Govt reviewing legal options
Addressing speculation about banning IPL broadcasts, Syeda Rizwana Hasan clarified that no final decision has been taken so far.
She said the government is carefully reviewing all legal aspects and procedures before deciding on any course of action.
The Information Advisor noted that sports and cultural exchanges traditionally help reduce tensions between countries.
However, she said the Mustafizur Rahman episode appears to have had the opposite effect, worsening sensitivities amid strained Bangladesh-India relations.
Mustafizur Rahman was expected to play for Kolkata Knight Riders this IPL season, making his sudden exclusion a flashpoint in the broader debate over politics and sports.
Bangladesh is also reportedly considering asking the International Cricket Council (ICC) to relocate its T20 World Cup matches from India to Sri Lanka due to deteriorating bilateral relations.







