Hamas confirmed on Monday that two of its senior figures, including the spokesperson of its armed wing and its Gaza chief, were killed during the ongoing Gaza war earlier this year.
In an official statement, Hamas confirmed that Abu Ubaida, spokesperson of its armed wing Al-Qassam Brigades, and Mohammed Sinwar, the group’s Gaza chief, were killed during Israeli military operations.
The Israeli military had announced in May that it killed Mohammed Sinwar, the younger brother of former Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar, and later said, three months on, that Abu Ubaida had also been killed.
For the first time since the war began, Hamas released a photograph of Abu Ubaida with his face uncovered, confirming his death and referring to him as “martyred.”
Hamas sources said Abu Ubaida had been seriously injured in an Israeli bombardment in August before succumbing to his wounds.
New Al-Qassam spokesman
At a press conference, Izz al-Din was introduced as the new spokesperson of the Al-Qassam Brigades. He reiterated that the group would not surrender to Israel, despite continued military pressure.
Hamas also confirmed the deaths of several other senior commanders, including Khan Younis Brigade commander Muhammad Sinwar, Rafah Brigade commander Muhammad Shabana, and Raed Saad, head of the Military Manufacturing Department.
As fighting continues, the humanitarian situation in Gaza is deteriorating rapidly. Hypothermia-related deaths have surged due to severe cold, with three more people, including a two-month-old baby, dying from frostbite, according to local sources.
Israeli bombardment continues
Separately, a Palestinian was martyred in a fresh Israeli bombardment, highlighting that despite international calls for restraint, violence on the ground has not subsided.
The confirmation of these deaths marks a significant moment in the Gaza war, as Hamas publicly acknowledges heavy leadership losses while civilians continue to bear the brunt of both conflict and harsh winter conditions.







