The Ashes injury toll deepened on Tuesday as both Australia and England lost key fast bowlers for the remainder of the 2025–26 series.
While Josh Hazlewood and Mark Wood have been sidelined with recurring injuries, Australian captain Pat Cummins is on track to return for the third Test in Adelaide.
Australia confirmed that Josh Hazlewood will miss the rest of the series due to ongoing hamstring and Achilles issues.
The 34-year-old had already been sidelined for the Perth and Brisbane Tests and will now shift his focus to preparing for the 2026 T20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka.
Head coach Andrew McDonald said the team did not anticipate the setbacks Hazlewood suffered during recovery.
“Really, really flat for him… We thought he would play a huge part in the series,” McDonald said, noting that the current injury is separate from his earlier hamstring problem.
Despite his absence, Australia’s depth has allowed the hosts to dominate the opening two Tests under interim captain Steve Smith.
Cummins Cleared to Return in Adelaide
Pat Cummins, who has been out since July due to a back injury, is expected to return for the third Test at the Adelaide Oval starting December 17.
The 32-year-old completed extensive match simulations at Allan Border Field, with coaches satisfied he is ready for competitive action.
“His body’s ready to go… I’d be expecting Pat to be tossing the coin,” McDonald said.
Usman Khawaja has also been cleared, though Australia is keeping selection flexible, with Travis Head and Jake Weatherald stepping up during his absence in Brisbane.
England suffer major blow as Mark Wood ruled out
Dec 9 (Reuters) — England fast bowler Mark Wood has also been ruled out of the remainder of the Ashes after a flare-up in his left knee, which he injured during the first Test in Perth.
The 35-year-old will return home this week to begin rehabilitation.
Wood shared his disappointment in an emotional social media post.
“After extensive surgery and seven long, hard months of work… my knee just hasn’t held up,” he wrote.
“I came here with high expectations… I’m desperately disappointed.”
Perth was Wood’s first Test appearance in 15 months after prolonged knee rehab. His absence is a significant setback for an already inexperienced England pace attack that struggled at the Gabba, where Australia posted 511 in response to England’s 334.
England add Matthew fisher as replacement
Surrey seamer Matthew Fisher has been added to England’s squad and will join the team later this week.
He has one previous Test appearance, during the 2022 tour of the West Indies.
England relied on Jofra Archer, Brydon Carse and Gus Atkinson in Brisbane, with Ben Stokes providing a fourth seam option and Will Jacks offering part-time spin.
Still, the visitors could not prevent a dominant Australian batting performance, especially during two sessions where the tailenders frustrated England bowlers.







