The Indian High Commissioner in Pakistan has contacted Pakistani authorities after warnings of high-level floods in the Sutlej River, officials confirmed on Monday.
The development comes as Punjab braces for one of the worst flood waves in years, with rivers Chenab, Ravi, and Sutlej swelling to alarming levels.
Indian envoy briefed on high flood risk
According to the Joint Commissioner Indus Water, massive water inflows are expected to enter Pakistan from Harike and Ferozepur, threatening major flooding in Sutlej. The official has already sent a letter to Islamabad, warning of severe risks in the coming days.
Pakistani officials said the Indian envoy was formally briefed on the situation. Four provincial chief secretaries and other relevant authorities have also been alerted to the looming threat.
Read also: Punjab on high alert as Chenab swells from India’s release, rains
At Head Trimmu, the Chenab River recorded an inflow of 479,000 cusecs, placing it in the “extremely high flood” category. Meanwhile, authorities have also decided to block traffic on Head Trimmu.
PDMA officials warn that the flow may rise to 700,000 cusecs by evening, putting downstream areas including Jhang, Multan, and Muzaffargarh at severe risk.
The flood surge has already displaced thousands, inundated hundreds of villages, and destroyed vast stretches of farmland.
PDMA issues flood alert for Punjab rivers, urban centres
The Punjab Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) on Sunday issued a high-level flood alert as the rivers Sutlej, Ravi, and Chenab, along with their adjoining drains, continued to swell following heavy rains in the upper catchment areas.
According to the PDMA spokesperson, a “very high” level of flooding is being witnessed in parts of the Sutlej and Chenab, particularly at Ganda Singh Wala and Trimmu Headworks, while water levels in the Ravi are also rising. The situation, officials warned, is likely to persist until September 5.
The PDMA further cautioned that heavy rainfall in the upper reaches of the rivers until September 3 could trigger urban flooding in Lahore, Gujranwala, and Gujrat over the next 72 hours.
Relief commissioner reviews rescue operations
Relief Commissioner Punjab Nabeel Javed visited the PDMA control room to review ongoing operations. He confirmed that the biggest rescue and relief mission in Punjab’s history is underway, with 506 relief camps and 352 medical camps established in flood-hit areas.
“More than 17,000 people have received medical treatment, while over 500,000 cattle have been shifted to safer places,” Javed said.
Casualties and displacement mount
So far, at least 33 citizens have died and 8 have been injured in flood-related incidents across Punjab. More than 2 million people have been affected, with large-scale evacuations carried out by Rescue 1122, PDMA, and Pakistan Army teams.
Officials confirmed that dynamite has been placed on embankments in case deliberate breaches are needed to divert the floodwaters away from densely populated areas.
Heavy rains to worsen situation
The Pakistan Meteorological Department has forecast fresh heavy rains in the upper Sutlej and Ravi catchments between September 1–3, which could further worsen the crisis. Urban flooding is also feared in Lahore, Gujranwala, and Gujrat divisions.
Officials say rescue operations will continue until all victims are rehabilitated, while the Punjab government has pledged compensation for both citizens and farmers who suffer losses.







