India's defence minister said on Monday that New Delhi had ended its military conflict with Pakistan in May, as it had met all its objectives and had not responded to pressure, rejecting US President Donald Trump's claim that he brokered the truce.
Rajnath Singh was speaking at the opening of a discussion in parliament on the April 22 attack on tourists in Indian-held Kashmir in which 26 men were killed. The attack led to a fierce, four-day military conflict with Pakistan in May, the worst between the nuclear-armed neighbours in nearly three decades.
"India halted its operation because all the political and military objectives studied before and during the conflict had been fully achieved," Singh said.
"To suggest that the operation was called off under pressure is baseless and entirely incorrect," he said.
Singh's comments came as the Indian Army claimed on Monday that it had killed three men after an intense firefight in Indian-occupied Kashmir, according to a post by the army on X.
The men were suspected to be behind the April 22 attack in Pahalgam, two Indian TV news channels said. Reuters could not immediately verify the information.
Earlier on Monday, senior Congress leader and former Indian home minister P. Chidambaram criticised the Modi-led BJP government for its opaque handling of the Pahalgam attack and the subsequent military operation in Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK).
Also Read: ‘Don’t blame Pakistan without proof,’ Ex-minister slams Modi over Pahalgam
In a recent interview, Chidambaram expressed concern over the government's refusal to share critical information related to the April 22 attack in Pahalgam, which left 26 people dead, most of them reportedly tourists.
“Where are the terrorist attackers? Why have you not apprehended them, or even identified them?” Chidambaram asked. He pointed to earlier reports suggesting arrests of individuals accused of sheltering the attackers but said their fate remains unclear.
The Congress leader, known for his vocal criticism of the ruling government’s handling of national security issues, said the absence of an official narrative raised suspicions of concealment.
“There is no clear and consistent communication from the government. We get snatches of information from various officers — the chief of defence staff in Singapore, the deputy army chief in Mumbai, and even a naval officer in Indonesia — but the prime minister, defence minister, and foreign minister remain silent,” he said.
Chidambaram speculated that the Modi government may be withholding information regarding tactical errors during Operation Sindoor — a military response launched in the wake of the attack. “The CDS hinted at some strategic changes. What were the original tactics? What was changed, and why?” he questioned, adding that either the government lacks the competence to answer or is deliberately avoiding accountability.
He also voiced doubts over the National Investigation Agency’s (NIA) probe into the attack. “They are unwilling to disclose what the NIA has done all these weeks. For all we know, these could be homegrown terrorists. Why assume they came from Pakistan when no evidence has been presented?” he said.
The former minister accused the government of concealing the losses suffered during Operation Sindoor, stating that it was important to be honest with the public. “In a war, both sides incur losses. There’s no shame in admitting that. Be upfront with the people,” he remarked.







