King Charles III has expressed his “deepest concern” following the arrest of his younger brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
In a statement shared by Buckingham Palace, the King emphasized that “the law must take its course” as authorities investigate the allegations.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the King said.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”
He added that it would not be appropriate to comment further while the legal process is ongoing, stating that he and his family would continue their public duties.
Police confirm arrest, searches
Thames Valley Police confirmed that a man in his sixties from Norfolk was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk,” the police statement read.
The man remains in police custody. In line with UK guidance, police said they would not name the arrested individual.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
Also Read: King Charles brother Andrew arrested over alleged misconduct
He stressed the importance of protecting the integrity and objectivity of the investigation, acknowledging the significant public interest in the case.
The arrest came after unmarked police vehicles and plain-clothed officers were seen arriving early Thursday morning at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where Andrew has been living since leaving his Windsor residence.
The searches coincided with Andrew’s 66th birthday.
Authorities have not yet disclosed the full specifics of the allegations that led to his arrest.
Allegations linked to Epstein files
The investigation follows renewed scrutiny stemming from documents released by the US Department of Justice on Jan. 30 as part of the final release of files related to Jeffrey Epstein.
On Feb 9, Thames Valley Police confirmed they were assessing information regarding allegations that Andrew, while serving as the UK trade envoy, shared confidential government reports with Epstein.
The reports allegedly detailed trips to Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Shenzhen in 2010 and 2011.
An email sent to someone titled “The Duke” and later forwarded to Epstein referenced visit reports from Southeast Asia. Another email from “The Duke” reportedly described an investment opportunity in Afghanistan.
Previously known as the Duke of York, Andrew was stripped of his royal titles last year.
Photograph, additional allegations
The DOJ document release also included a photograph showing Andrew leaning over a woman lying on the floor. The woman’s face was redacted, and it remains unclear when or where the photo was taken.
The image was displayed during testimony by US Attorney General Pam Bondi before the House Judiciary Committee on Feb. 11 regarding the DOJ’s handling of Epstein files.
Police have also reviewed a fresh allegation that Epstein sent a woman to Andrew at the Royal Lodge residence in Windsor in 2010 for sexual purposes.
A Thames Valley Police spokesperson previously said on Feb 4 that they were assessing the information in line with established procedures.
Andrew’s ties to Epstein have long drawn public scrutiny, particularly because he maintained contact with the financier after Epstein’s 2008 conviction on state prostitution-related charges.
Epstein later died in a New York jail cell in 2019 while awaiting trial on federal sex trafficking charges.
In 2019, Andrew gave a widely criticized interview to the BBC’s Newsnight, where he denied allegations made by Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre.
Giuffre accused Andrew of sexual abuse, allegations he strongly denied. In 2022, he settled a civil lawsuit with Giuffre for an undisclosed sum without admitting liability.
Giuffre died in April 2025, and further allegations surfaced in her posthumous memoir, contributing to Andrew being stripped of the remainder of his titles in late 2025.
Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s associate, is currently serving a 20-year prison sentence for conspiring with him to sexually abuse minors.
Political reactions and public interest
Before news of the arrest broke, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said “nobody is above the law” when asked whether Andrew should testify before the US Congress.
“Anybody who has any information should testify, whether it's Andrew or anyone else,” Starmer told the BBC, echoing remarks made by Hillary Clinton earlier in the week.
Buckingham Palace reiterated that it stands ready to support police if approached.
As investigations continue, authorities have urged caution in reporting due to the active legal process.







