Israel has announced it will suspend the work of more than three dozen humanitarian organisations in the war-battered Gaza Strip.
The move has triggered alarm among aid groups and European governments amid warnings of catastrophic conditions on the ground.
Israeli authorities said they will suspend over 37 humanitarian organisations working in Gaza starting Thursday. Officials said the groups failed to meet new requirements related to sharing information about staff, funding sources, and operational details.
Israel said the affected organisations did not have their permits renewed under the new regulatory framework.
Among those facing bans are Doctors Without Borders (MSF), the Norwegian Refugee Council, CARE International, the International Rescue Committee, and branches of major charities including Oxfam and Caritas.
The decision affects organisations providing critical services such as food distribution, healthcare, mental health support, disability services, and education.
Israel accuses MSF of staff irregularities
Israel accused MSF of failing to clarify the roles of some staff members and alleged cooperation with Hamas. Diaspora Affairs Minister Amichai Chikli said humanitarian aid is welcome but warned against what he called the exploitation of aid frameworks for terrorism.
“The message is clear: Humanitarian assistance is welcome. The exploitation of humanitarian frameworks for terrorism is not,” Chikli said.
MSF strongly denied the accusations, saying Israel’s decision would have a catastrophic impact on its operations. The medical charity said it supports around 20 percent of hospital beds in Gaza and assists with nearly one-third of all births in the enclave.
“MSF would never knowingly employ people engaging in military activity,” the organisation said.
Aid groups call rules arbitrary
International organisations described Israel’s new rules as arbitrary and warned they would further restrict already limited humanitarian operations. Amjad Shawa of the Palestine NGOs Network said the move was part of a broader effort to worsen the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza.
He said restrictions on aid operations were contributing to the displacement and suffering of Palestinians.
Dr James Smith, a British physician who previously volunteered in Gaza and was later denied re-entry, warned that the impact would be immediate and severe.
“A situation that is already horrific will be made even more horrific,” he said, adding that the changes would be ruthless in practice.
European countries warn of ‘catastrophic’ conditions
Israel’s decision comes as at least 10 countries expressed serious concern over what they described as a renewed deterioration of Gaza’s humanitarian situation. Britain, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Iceland, Japan, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland issued a joint statement warning of appalling winter conditions.
They said 1.3 million people still require urgent shelter support, while more than half of Gaza’s health facilities are only partially functional and face severe shortages.
The countries urged Israel to ensure international NGOs can operate in Gaza in a sustained and predictable manner. They also called for the opening of land crossings to increase the flow of humanitarian aid into the enclave.







