In an unprecedented and chaotic incident, 216 prisoners escaped from District Jail Malir after a panic-stricken stampede broke out late Sunday night, allegedly triggered by an earthquake that caused widespread fear and confusion inside the prison.
The jailbreak, which is now being termed one of the most serious security lapses in Sindh’s prison history, has raised major concerns over the preparedness of jail authorities and the conditions within correctional facilities.
Panic after earthquake sparks riot
According to initial reports submitted to the inspector general (IG) of prisons, the chaos began around 11:45am when a powerful earthquake jolted Karachi. The tremors sparked panic among thousands of inmates, especially those housed in Circles 4 and 5 of Malir Jail, which reportedly held over 2,500 prisoners at the time.
Prison sources revealed that the inmates began screaming and pushing against the doors in fear. As the situation escalated, locks were broken, and prisoners stormed into other barracks, further fueling the unrest. The report stated that 216 prisoners had escaped, out of which 78 had been rearrested.
Malir Jail Superintendent Arshad Shah, stated during a media briefing that despite counselling the prisoners earlier in the evening, the quake caused widespread panic.
"There were earthquakes over the past two days, so the prisoners were scared. Last night at 11pm, a strong earthquake struck, the prisoners pushed the barrack doors so hard that all the latches broke. They attacked me and the officers, broke furniture, windows, doors, computers, and looted the canteen and medical store,” he said.
He further explained that there were no foreign, Indian, Afghan or high-profile prisoners in Malir Jail. "Even after firing from the checkpost above, the prisoners kept fleeing. It is when the FC fired that some prisoners returned." He claimed that 211 personnel were deputed at the prison, working in three shifts.
Jail officials responsible
Separately, Sindh Home Minister Ziaul Hassan Lanjar stated that the escaped inmates were primarily involved in drug-related and theft cases. Speaking to the media, Lanjar urged the fugitives to surrender within 24 hours, assuring that they will be treated with leniency if they return voluntarily.
He further said that the Karachi commissioner and the additional inspector general were currently conducting a thorough investigation into the incident. Lanjar termed the Malir Jail escape a result of administrative incompetence, holding prison officials accountable for the large-scale security lapse.
Only 9 officers on duty
Shockingly, sources confirmed during the investigation that only nine personnel were on duty to manage around 6,022 inmates in the prison that night. Frontier Constabulary (FC) troops perform their duties remaining confined to their posts.
Also Read: Over 200 prisoners escape from Karachi’s Malir Jail in late-night chaos
The initial investigation has pointed to serious administrative negligence, a fact admitted by IG Prisons Sindh, Qazi Nazir. “Had there been no negligence, no prisoner would have escaped,” he told journalists. He, however, also termed the jailbreak a result of a “natural disaster". He maintained that this would have happened in any jail in the world.
Official response and ongoing operation
Addressing a ceremony on Tuesday, Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah expressed deep concern over the incident, stating that the decision to open the barracks post-earthquake was a grave error. "Those responsible will be held accountable. If the prisoners do not surrender, they will be charged under anti-terrorism laws,” he warned.
He confirmed that 216 prisoners had escaped, while 83 have been recaptured so far. Jail authorities have also confirmed that 89 escapees have been traced, including 11 more found on Tuesday.
Shah said investigations were underway. "Such an act should not have happened; one prisoner lost his life. "
A large-scale search and recovery operation is ongoing, with Rangers, FC, and district police conducting raids in areas surrounding the jail. Six prisoners were caught inside the prison premises, while three others were apprehended outside, jail officials said. However, 141 prisoners remain at large.
A list of the escaped prisoners has been made public in hopes that the families will persuade their relatives to surrender peacefully. "We are appealing to families to send their children back. Otherwise, they’ll face serious legal consequences," said IG Qazi Nazir.
Casualties and damage
The incident also led to casualties. One prisoner reportedly died, and 12 others sustained injuries during the riot. Jail staff, including officers, were also injured while trying to restore order.
Significant damage was caused to the CCTV room, staff quarters, waiting area, duty office, and visitor area. Videos surfaced showing broken glass, cracked walls, and ransacked facilities inside the jail.
Future measures and infrastructure plans
Superintendent Arshad Shah disclosed that a new prison complex spanning 850 acres has been constructed in Bin Qasim, aimed at reducing overcrowding and improving security infrastructure.
Sindh Home Secretary Iqbal Memon, during a press interaction, highlighted that the prisoners were not wearing uniforms, making it difficult to distinguish them from civilians. “They were only identified because many were barefoot while fleeing,” he said. The home secretary visited the jail, where he was briefed by the prisons IG.
The jailbreak
According to police and jail officials, the escape occurred amid chaos reportedly triggered by a series of tremors in the city. The prisoners, many of whom were already outside their barracks, took advantage of the confusion and overwhelmed jail staff, leading to a violent standoff.
Heavy firing was reported both inside and around the jail premises, sending panic across the nearby residential areas. Several routes, including the National Highway, were temporarily closed as police and Rangers cordoned off the area.
SSP Malir Kashif Aftab Abbasi told reporters that a large contingent of police and paramilitary forces reached the jail within minutes and sealed off nearby settlements, highways, and villages. “Announcements were made from mosques across Malir, appealing for the public’s cooperation in arresting the escaped inmates,” he added.
DIG Jail Hassan Sehto and Director General Rangers Sindh, Major General Muhammad Shamrez, also visited the jail and reviewed the security arrangements.







