Britain and France conducted a coordinated airstrike on Saturday evening against a suspected Islamic State (ISIS) arms dump in Syria, officials said.
The operation comes as Western forces continue to patrol the region to prevent a resurgence of the militant group.
Britain’s Defence Ministry confirmed that Royal Air Force and French jets targeted an underground weapons cache in the mountains north of Palmyra. Intelligence indicated that the site was previously used by ISIS to store explosives and arms.
The operation involved Typhoon FGR4 combat jets, supported by a Voyager refuelling tanker, and employed Paveway IV guided bombs to destroy access tunnels leading to the facility.
Target hit successfully
Officials said initial assessments indicate that the target was successfully engaged. The area was reportedly devoid of civilian habitation, and all aircraft returned safely after the operation.
Britain emphasized that the strike was a preventive measure to ensure ISIS could not regain strength in the region.
British Defence Secretary John Healey described the operation as a demonstration of UK leadership and solidarity with allies.
“This action shows our determination to stand shoulder to shoulder with our allies, to stamp out any resurgence of Daesh and their dangerous and violent ideologies in the Middle East,” Healey said, using an alternative name for ISIS.







