A deadly suicide bombing shook Quetta’s Saryab Road on Tuesday night, killing at least 15 people and injuring 38 others. Officials confirmed the attacker was under 30 and detonated eight kilograms of explosives after a political gathering ended.
Suicide attack on Saryab Road
During a press conference on Wednesday, the Balochistan additional chief secretary (home), DIG crime, and SSP operations confirmed the devastating incident. ACS (Home) Hamza Shafqat said the explosion occurred after a political gathering ended around 9pm.
“The suicide bomber’s body has been recovered. The attacker was under 30 years old and used approximately 8kg of explosives,” Shafqat said.
Victims, compensation announced
Shafqat told the media that the Balochistan chief minister had announced financial assistance for the victims’ families, pledging Rs1.5 million for each martyr and Rs5 million for the injured.
Also Read: Quetta blast death toll rises to 15, probe ordered
At the time of the gathering, nearly 120 police personnel had been deployed for security, Shafqat added.
Security concerns ahead of 12 Rabiul Awwal
The ACS raised fresh security alerts for 12 Rabiul Awwal, warning of potential terror threats, on Saturday. “Terrorists want to harm Pakistan. We had already informed the political party about the security situation,” Shafqat said.
He added that processions and gatherings will not be allowed after Maghrib prayers across the province due to heightened risks. Section 144 also remains in force throughout Balochistan.
Blast location and timing
Clarifying details, Shafqat said the suicide attack occurred nearly 500 kilometers away from the political meeting venue. The meeting was scheduled for 3pm, but the explosion took place later at around 9pm.
Flood threats in other districts
Alongside security concerns, authorities are also bracing for floods in Sibi and Naseerabad, with heavy machinery already deployed in the affected areas as a precautionary measure.
FIR registered
A case has been registered over the suicide attack in front of Shahwani Stadium, officials confirmed. According to the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD), the FIR has been filed against unidentified suspects under charges of murder, attempted murder, and terrorism.
Also Read: Four killed, several injured in Quetta blast near Shahwani Stadium
The CTD added that the remains of the suicide bomber have been taken into custody and will be sent for forensic examination.
Section 144
Meanwhile, in view of the ongoing monsoon season, Section 144 has been imposed in Naseerabad and Sibi divisions, the Balochistan Home Department announced on Wednesday.
According to the notification, cutting canals, drainage channels, embankments, or protective bunds will not be allowed. Similarly, excavation or construction on canal banks and embankments using heavy machinery without prior permission from the district administration has been banned.
The Home Department noted that in the past, influential individuals had been accused of diverting floodwaters toward the lands of weaker communities. To prevent such incidents, strict measures are being enforced.
Establishing makeshift shops, fences, or other encroachments on canals and embankments has also been declared illegal. Additionally, swimming or boating in rivers, canals, and water passages is prohibited.
Authorities have warned of potential flood torrents in Usta Muhammad, Sohbatpur, and Jafarabad districts, while emergency measures are being implemented to minimize risks.
Violators will face legal action under Section 188 of the Pakistan Penal Code and the Balochistan Canal and Drainage Ordinance, 1980. Arrests may be carried out without warrants. The Police, Levies, and Irrigation Department have been directed to enforce these orders immediately.







